30 January 2010

Hannaford's is for Hermits

Whenever I'd see television commercials for Hannaford supermarkets I pondered, why don't we have one where I live? Unlike Star Market, Shaw's (and the grim Market Basket), Hannaford promised a romantic, new and different food shopping experience; one I imagined that would be more "of the people" than Whole Foods/Bread and Circus (known by me as Why Pay Less?). But there was not a Hannaford within 20 miles of me. So when I found myself in Tewksbury, MA recently to experience my first Wal-mart (risking the danger of being locked in overnight), I had to try Hannaford. Despite the fact that it was Saturday afternoon, the spacious aisles proudly displayed their wares; the fish, fruits and vegetables were fresh; and -- wonder of wonders -- the store was gloriously free of crowds. As some of you may know, my end-of-the-world dream fantasy involves shopping for comestibles sans humans.

3 comments:

Kay McCarthy said...

Watch your mouth, young lady, when you start trashing Market Basket. S'il vous plait. Not all of them are as allegedly "grim" as the Slumerville one. The new MB in Gloucester is actually terrific. And how many supermarket chains do you know of that were founded by a man whose first name was Telemachus? And that sell aged Gouda for the low, low price of 8.99lb (that's half a sawbuck less than at Russo's)? Don't get me stahted.

The Author said...

But do they feature chudge, I ask you?

Anonymous said...

¡Solid!