08 September 2009

The Woman Who Lost Her Head

Our little Rue de Regrattier has another more ancient name: Rue de la Femme-sans-tete (road of the headless woman). There is even a little statuette on the building corner for those who have trouble envisioning such a thing. Not me. After a week in this lovely neighborhood, I too have lost my own head over it.

Have the French cornered the market on happiness? Could be. Lunch at the modest little Les Fous de l'île restaurant around the corner cost a healthy $60 USD.

But I am happy to pay that price for tuna steaks seared to perfection, encrusted in sesame seeds, and an endive salad that's a work of art.

And never mind the dish of Berthillon ice cream for dessert; the perfect finish to a late lunch. Near dusk, we took some food and drinks down to the Seine and watched the barges cruise by and the lights of Notre Dame come on. I must confess,  I don't know what could top this. Mais ça ne fait rien (It doesn't really matter). There's always more happiness just around the next corner.

No comments: