10 October 2009

Full Sale Ahead

I took a quick jaunt to Providence, RI, for the seasonal RISD alumni sale. Although I did not see Seth MacFarlane or David Byrne in the mob of students there, I was assured at least some of the items for sale were made by actual RISD alumni. There were earrings that boasted fragments of advertising, luminous landscapes, ingenious space-dyed knit tops and scarfs, and blown glass with a simple colored rim. It was tough to restrain myself, but I indulged in a felt doll inspired by anime made by an artist called Aomimi. I also bought a delicate ceramic bowl, gracefully inscribed "No. 10" inside with a faint imprint of a fork on the outside made by Asya Palatova. A good day, even though there were many artists whose work remained to be seen.

I stopped at the famed RISD store for lunch and immediately fell head over heels for two chairs that featured my favorite stripe pattern. I was prepared to hunker down until they let me have 'em, but was told they were not for sale. Well, a gal can't be blamed for tryin'.

No comments: