29 October 2009

Button Buddies

Two weekends ago I spent a splendid hour gawking at the thousands of buttons in New York's Tender Buttons. The shop is apparently named after a book by Gertrude Stein, a collection of confusing gibberish that's more often written about than actually read. I'm told the book consists of three chapters: "Objects," "Food," and "Rooms" --coincidentally, three things I'm particularly fond of myself.

I think Gertrude would have liked this shop. It reminded me of a sleepy old village store somewhere in the French countryside. Yet its not-so-dusty shelves held an endless variety of buttons that ranged in price from $1.50 to $150 each.

Predictably, I ended up spending $9 on a half dozen colorful plastic types with an irresistibly kid-ly theme. As one of Stein's contemporaries (Oscar Wilde) said, I can resist anything...except temptation.

3 comments:

ChiChi Fargo said...

Man, oh man. How often do you see Gertrude Stein referenced in a blog? This site IS the uttmost.

Anonymous said...

Stick around Chi Chi; this gal tosses off references to Wittgenstein, Proust, Descartes, and even Socrates at the drop of a 5th Avenue hat!

Anonymous said...

...not to mention a 5th Avenue candy bar. Sorry, but I am ODing on Haloween candy. But where were the Baby Ruth's in that huge bag of candy Costco purchased from Costco?

Anonymous 2