29 March 2010

Saturday Night at the ER

I tripped over the base of a bike rack on the sidewalk outside the YMCA on 63rd Street this weekend. I went down hard, fracturing my wrist (and my tough girl image) in the process. The doctors and nurses at Roosevelt Hospital were very pleasant. Although hanging in traction, being poked with needles, and having my wrist bones stretched and twisted was not my idea of fun, I can report that the big city ER was not anything like you see on TV shows. The staff did not keep up a constant barrage of amusing banter and witticisms. There were no romantic involvements between handsome residents and fetching hospital administrators. Unshaven, maverick medical genius diagnosticians sporting canes were conspicuously absent. Instead, everyone was boringly professional. When several NYC cops led a handcuffed prisoner in, I thought I'd see some drama at last. However the guy was quiet, well-groomed, and did not appear to be ruffled by his incarceration in the least. So much for entertainment vs. real life. Anyhow, I am now featuring a "half cast" on my right arm and learning to do everything left-handed. Our readers may have to get along with less regular infusions of my prose, however speech-to-text software could provide an answer. Let's try it:
uiyer lwkuhfg gd lkj
OK, well, maybe not.

5 comments:

ChiChi Fargo® said...

¡Qué lástima, chiquita¡ I hope you can eat with your left hand. Never a dull moment with you. At least you are able to spin it into blogger's gold. Forza!

Ms Ulna Bay said...

Eating, as it turns out, is one of the few ways in which I am ambidextrous (if I may say that on the Internets...)

Flora Zwingler said...

Special shout-out to JoeY, the most crative Creative Director in 48 states and any medium.

Anonymous said...

Did that bicycle rack jump in front of you? I hear a lawyer on TV advertising for clients like you. Oh no, couldn't jot down his telephone number in time. I will keep my ear pressed to the screen to catch him the next time he is on.
Hope you (and the Creative Director)are managing with the injury that surely limits you from your many tasks.

The TV (and iPhone) lady

Jessica said...

Speedy recovery. I'm hoping you at least were able to recuperate in the private wing.
http://www.wehealny.org/directory/14b.html