20 March 2010

Confessions of a Library Hooligan

The sleepy Concord Library simmered in the March sunshine like a sausage on a street vendor's cart. I gave the joint the once over and entered, lugging a bag big enough for a circus elephant to nap in. A snooty society dame at the desk gave me the hairy eyeball. She got a hard look from me in return. I cruised the DVD stacks until I found what I wanted -- an obscure Russian film that in one, long, mystifying take takes in every room of the Hermitage -- then took my stash up front. I was in no mood to show my card to the authorities. Hell, no. Strictly self checkout for me. The laser flashed in my hands like a paintbrush in Picasso's. Thirty seconds later I was out the front door, burning rubber on some dusty back road. I can tell you this: the Concord branch hasn't seen the last of me.

3 comments:

ChiChi Fargo said...

¡Self-checkout me gusta mucho tambiĆ©n!

The Late John Houseman said...

I'm curious to know precisely how one burns rubber on a dirt road.

Ms "Carborundum" Bay said...

If you're as tough as me, you just burn it, dirt or no, Monsieur John Houseman!