12 March 2010

Ban the Bandura

Only Harvard could get away with erecting a building this big in Cambridge. How big is it? I'm glad you asked that question. It's so big, it's got its own zip code. It's so big, it makes the great wall of China look like a guide rail. It's so big, black holes fall into it. It's so big...ah, you get the idea. Seriously, the Wasserstein Hall, Caspersen Student Center, Clinical Wing complex designed by architect Robert Stern covers two city blocks and is apparently part of the Harvard Law School's evil plot to dominate the planet Earth. Talk about your ivory tower: its front windows are each as tall as a city bus standing on end (about 50 feet). My pet name -- I can hardly bring myself to use diminuitive -- for this behemoth is the Reichstag, though my ancestors would probably call it a big bandura, a gourd-like string instrument that Ukrainians refer to as a synonym for all things large and unwieldy.

7 comments:

Lisette Model said...

We want Patti in the picture, please.

Henri said...

Patti *is* in the picture. The building is so big, she's takes up only one tenth of a pixel on the lower left.

Patrice Bay said...

Aw, readers, I am touched by your clamoring but I am on the point of spontaneous combustion: that's why I am nowhere to be seen. Harvard just told us beginning The Ides (Monday!), Dig They Must!
They will be bothering us with even more noise, fewer parking spaces, early bird construction workers bandying about colorful stevedorean phrases before dawn.
Gr•r•r•r•r•r

Harvard Square Buskers Association said...

That is none other than a youthful M. Henri holding the bandura in the photo. What more is needed?

Lisette Model said...

Our concern is that in both the Feb. 27 and the Mar. 12 postings, Ms. Bay is nowhere to be seen. We hunger and sincerely hope this does not indicate a "trend."

Meanwhile, we know a website where you can instantly unload and rid yourself of all those Veritas-prompted ill feelings, Cherie.

Chaka Cohn said...

Hateforhire.blogspot.com here I come!

Henri said...

Mon Dieu! I thought I had suppressed all photos from those days!