16 May 2010

Three for the Asking

Recently, JoeY was the recipient of a 1960 vintage Raleigh Sports bike. He feels it's a dream of understated elegance, but the ride could be less stiff and more forgiving on bumpy trails. With the help of my trusty 3/8" socket, I installed a brand new Schwinn seat, but no go. JoeY also gave a thumbs-down when the boys at Cambridge's Ace Wheelworks recommended a $200 leather Brooks saddle. The case remains open.

Not so with my homegirls Helen and Emmy. A big show was held this weekend at the Gymnastics Academy of Boston studio they frequent, and these kids tumbled like nobody's business. Check out the giraffe- and jungle-themed leotards, medals and big grins on this Olympian pair. Naturally, I was there to take photos and cheer them on to V•i•c•t•o•r•y.

The last item in our weekend news roundup is my visit to a little Japanese joint called Shabu Ya in Harvard Square. I sampled the superb scallion pancake and cavalcade of sushi, but could not take my eyes off the private booths screened off by Sicilian summer festival light fixtures and a mysterious curtain made from strands of ball bearings. Next time...

2 comments:

Click & Clack said...

Love that you're repairing your bicicleta, chiquita. But as John Kane said to me as I started to put air in my car tire at a gas station once, "Don't break a nail."

Click AND Clack said...

OK, so how come "&" comes out as the stupid-looking "&"? This bodders me.