09 May 2010

Gray's Papaya at Eventide

While in New York for Mother's Day, I had a craving for the special kind of hot dog only found at Gray's Papaya; browned and crispy as you please. It was late afternoon, and strong winds were howling in the streets. "Should we risk it?" I asked Mummy. "Don't worry," she said, "the wind always subsides at eventide." Eventide was a term used in the Middle Ages to describe dusk. Now you know where I got my way with words.

She also taught me the fine art of eating at a counter, which involves taking up space and discouraging people trying to crowd you. No matter. I'd have used my splint to cold cock anyone who tried any funny business. The winds continued to blow as we walked up Broadway, but it was worth braving the gusty currents: the hot dogs were simply delish.

2 comments:

John Ruskin said...

Love it. Especially love that the entry's title sounds like that of a Whistler painting. And why not may I ask?

Gael Greene said...

Recently in NYC, I saw a Papaya Dog storefront and thought of you. I took a pass, though, and headed for Momofuku.