10 April 2010

On the Ball

Here I am outside Target in Woburn, MA, giving instructions to my accomplice "on the inside" by walkie-talkie. Note that I appear to be resting on a large red cement ball. In Barcelona, these balls are a design feature. They're commonly placed on sidewalks and plazas to protect pedestrians from being mowed down by errant cars. But since not a single car looked inclined to jump the curb, I felt quite safe.

I came here today to see how famed design house Liberty of London's patterns look plastered on Target's voluminous line of wares. And what do they look like, you ask? A bit chintzy, to tell the truth. It reminded me of Melmac or Corelle ware. (It's unbreakable, that's what it i•i•is...) The stuff just exuded mass-produced gimmickry. Of course, I am wild about Target. I just think they should stick with the basics and, when they team up with known quantities, they should keep the originality and the quality up to snuff. Nuff said?

4 comments:

Henri said...

C'est Target? It looks like you went grocery shopping in The Village. Please say hello to Number 6 if you see him, and give Rover a pat on the, uh, head.

Patrick McGoohan said...

But who is Number 1?

Michael Graves said...

I never thought Target and Liberty of London was a good match. Happy to hear you agree with me. WTF?

playing the devil's meh said...

so they painted the balls red to attract enraged bulls...
"They're commonly placed on sidewalks and plazas to protect pedestrians from being mowed down by errant cars."
rolling bollards? turn pedestrians into bowling pins (or dominoes)?

really, those oversize balls are a 80's/90's design hangover...