25 May 2009

Salmon Chiselers

My Mother's stock phrase whenever shopping for fish is, "Is the fish fresh?"
As you can see in the photo, I am wrestling a piece of salmon as big as a Volkswagen onto a baking pan. It was marked $5.99 a pound at Stop & Shop (a pretty good deal), so I said to the clerk, "Is it really $5.99 a pound?" He kind of shrugged, "Well, that's what it's marked". I asked for 3/4 of a pound. He then handed me a piece marked $7.98 and weighing 0.998 of a pound. (I know. The math doesn't even make sense) You probably think it's silly, but it's aggravatin' to me. Hey, when I say 3/4 of a pound, that's what I want. Look, if you're not paying attention, these Grocery Store Pirates can easily charge you an arm and a leg. I guess I got distracted by the Manager's Special Memorial Day Cheese Wheels. Next time I'll be prepared.

No comments: